Friday, December 4, 2009

Getting Involved

Sometimes school can get tedious. Little things can build up and then suddenly you find yourself a grumpy mess, complaining to anyone who will listen and wishing you had never come here. I think it probably happens to everyone.
It's definitely happened to me! I'm from a warm town in Texas, and coming to college here was a big step that has made it hard to adjust. What I've found though, is when I find someplace to belong, a group or person to depend on me, I enjoy my time here more easily. Being a VPA Ambassador has really helped my bad moods! When you volunteer to tell people why you came here, and tell them over and over again, it definitely helps you remember! Being a senior has been difficult thus far, and although I am ready to graduate, (so ready!) I can still be incredibly thankful for everything I've learned up here. I have accumulated a few groups of people who I also feel a responsibility towards, and that kind of thing forces me to feel like I belong. It's a good lesson I hope to remember from now on: If you don't feel like you belong, make it belong to you! It also kind of goes with the idea of decorating your room. I always set aside a couple days before classes start to make my room look exactly right, because if I don't feel like I own it, or if it seems at all temporary, I won't be able to relax or work there. It gets difficult sometimes, but it is possible to have a home here. And "going home" is exactly what I look forward to everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment